Once I got off that Singapore-air flight I knew this was not going to be a 2 month long vacation. I suddenly realized that Singapore is going to be my home for a while.
So many thoughts rushed though my head as I waited in the car going to the NUS (The National University of Singapore). The drive was not very long since Singapore is only about 48 Km long. The first thought that popped into my head was that I would be on the other side of the world with my family but not my friends. I assumed that there would be nobody here my age and the next 6 months would be like living in a ghost town, quiet and alone. I was wrong!
After the first 2 weeks of going to the gym with nobody to meet, I met a girl named Alice. Alice is 10 years old. She does competitive swimming and short distance running. We decided to meet at breakfast so we could hangout more. She told me that I have a really cool North American accent. I think that she has an amazing Australian accent!
We became best friends and I introduced Alice to my family and she introduced me to hers.
Kira, Ethan and I hung out with Alice and her older brother Albert. He is 14 years old. Alice and Albert were here in Singapore for a month. We all went to the basketball court together, then the pool, and to finish the day we'd all go to the gym. We even spent New Years together down at Marina Bay!
The gang and I accumulated more and more friends! Jakob and Sara joined the group. Jakob is my age and Sara is 9 years old. They were in Singapore for only 7 days. We all hung out at the pool playing Marco Polo. Playing Marco Polo was our thing to do every day! All together we were such an international mix; my siblings and I are Canadian, Alice and Albert
are Australian, and Jakob and Sara are Danish.
A month later I met 4 other kids. Veronica, Jessica, Claire and Robert are from Switzerland. They speak German and will be moving to Singapore in July. They were checking out schools during their visit. We played Marco Polo and soccer while they were here. We didn't get play with them as much because I left for a trip to Taipei and they went back to Switzerland before we returned. They had left a little goodbye note under our door to say farewell and hope we meet again!
You'd be surprised at how fast time goes by when you have nice people to spend it with. We are all international best friends and hope to meet again soon!
You'd be surprised at how fast time goes by when you have nice people to spend it with. We are all international best friends and hope to meet again soon!
~ A Really Cool Canadian :D
No comments:
Post a Comment